Canada Coin Exchange

James E. Charlton (1911-2013) owner

Canada Coin Exchange was owned and operated by James (Jim) Charlton of Toronto between 1949 and 1969. Charlton ran the business out of his home from 1949 to 1956, when he opened his first store at 53 Front St. in Toronto, ON on August 2, 1956. He moved the shop to a more secure location at 80 Richmond St. in October 1958 where he remained until 1965. Focusing entirely on his coin business, Jim Charlton opened a retail store for Canada Coin Exchange at 49 Queen St. E. on June 26, 1963. He kept the Richmond St. location as a warehouse. It was at this time that Charlton International Publishing Inc. was incorporated on August 28, 1963. That same year, Charlton opened a second shop under the name Arcade Coin Store with Frank Rose managing the operations until 1968. In August 1965, operations of the main store and wholesale office were moved to 92 Jarvis St. On July 2, 1967, Charlton sold the wholesale supply business, Charlton Coin and Stamp Supply, along with the building to Jack Alexander Forbes of Dartmouth, NS. He kept the numismatic business, Canada Coin Exchange, and relocated it to the Arcade Coin shop at 137 Yonge St., known as the Arcade Building. Charlton sold the company to Richard Robinson and Fred Samuels in 1969. Jim Charlton conducted his last auction at the 1969 Canadian Numismatic Association Convention in Toronto.

Source: J.E. Charlton (2001), Coinman to Canadians, Toronto: Charlton Press, 157-158.

Jim Charlton was not affiliated with the firm Charlton Numismatics Inc., which was founded, owned and operated by William Cross. Cross acquired the rights to the Charlton name for the publication of the Charlton Standard Catalogues in 1972.

Documents scanned and uploaded with permission of the Estate of J.E. Charlton / Documents numérisés et téléchargés avec la permission de l’héritage de J.E. Charlton.

Canadian Numismatic Association Convention Auctions

Other Auctions

Price Lists